On Thursday, December 1st, I got up at 5 am to eat. I also blogged about Grant's milestone (18 months old). Grant stirred pretty early and probably would have gone back to sleep if his anxious mommy had let him!
We spent the morning cleaning and double checking bags. Derek took Grant to Julie's and I shed a few tears already anticipating how much I'd miss my little man over the next several days.
We arrived at the hospital at 11:26 and got checked in. My nurse was tiny so we joked with her about her height. Derek had a Coke before we left so he was on edge and being Overly Helpful Dad - he kept asking if he should do this or that and his only job was really to talk to me and distract me!!
My mom came back and visited a while. Having your mom around at moments of high anticipation is so important! Or at least my mom - she provides comedic relief "without even trying" as my sister said! Her banter with Derek was a much needed distraction from my surgery prep (IV, etc.).

Gaumy and Morgan came and visited too. Before long I was being wheeled back to the OR. The hospital has 2 for C sections and I've seen them both now. Derek had to stay back while I got a spinal. It was painful but quick. The song Safety Dance was playing while I got the spinal - it was the first song that got Grant to smile so I couldn't help but smile and feel at peace. They laid me down, tested the spinal and brought Derek in. I had my arms out to my side but this time they didn't strap them down.
The C section was remarkably painless. Last time (with an epidural) it felt like they were pulling me apart. This time (with a spinal) I just felt some pulling.
Abigail Rose was born at 2:20 pm. It took about 10 seconds for her to cry. Her hair was matted down and it was black. It looked like black girl hair. Her skin was covered with vernix (white, cheesy like substance). I had read about it but it shocked Derek a bit. Grant didn't have that since he was born at 41+ weeks. She had gray eyes that have since turned brown.
I was shocked to hear her weight was 7lbs, 14 oz. I really thought she'd be smaller. I gained 10 pounds less with her, plus she's a girl (typically smaller than boys) and was born at 39 weeks, 3 days (Grant was born at 41 weeks, 2 days). With all of that, my guess was that she'd be 6 lbs, 6 oz. Derek guessed 7 lbs, 12 oz. He was pretty close!! She measured 20.5" at the hospital but only 19.5" at the doctor. I remember there being a discrepancy with Grant too.
The hospital changed a few things since last time. The idea is that a healthy baby is never away from mom. She was measured and had her heel prick while we were in recovery. She had her first bath once we got to our room. I loved that I was never away from her!
The Csection after mine didn't go so smoothly. The baby inhaled or swallowed meconium (poop) so the dad went with baby and the mom was in recovery alone. I couldn't help it - had to count my blessings. The Csection after that was after 20 hours of labor at the hospital. The dad was wiped out - I can't even imagine what his wife felt like!!
Clearly the hospital was busy!! With Grant, they were SLOW - my first post partum nurse only had 2 moms and 1 baby (Grant). She was there again for our 2nd and 3rd night and at our request was our nurse again! This time our nurses always had 4 moms and 4 babies. Not sure if it was the full floor or the fact that we aren't rookies anymore, but we weren't babied as much in the hospital this time (despite my efforts to bribe the nurses with s'mores bars).
Grant came up the day after she was born to visit for about 10 minutes. He spent the weekend with Grandma Rose and Papa. He was so sweet and gave his sister a kiss.

YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL in ALL your pictures especially the one of you Abby and Derek during your c-section! I AM SO JEALOUS!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah and CONGRATS! :) She is beautiful and I love everything!
So awesome - CONGRATS!!!
ReplyDelete