The terrible twos are knocking on our door - only 6 weeks away. Grant’s testing us all the time now. I wonder if it ever really stops or if this is the age where parents are shocked into a lifetime of children testing limits. Are the twos really terrible or is it terrible because this is just the beginning?
Grant’s new phrase is “bad dog.” We always correct him and tell him “no, nice dog!” But this phrase is carrying over. When he’s not getting his way, it’s “bad mama” or “bad dada.” UGH! He says it when he’s frustrated that we can’t understand him, but more often he says it when he has to stop playing to get a diaper change.
Manners are a work in progress. We have to tell him to say please and thank you (“Meee” = Please and “Tay too” = Thank you). He always takes his plate to the sink when he’s done eating. He will stop eating and put his hands together to pray. He always puts his hands together for bedtime prayers too and whispers his version of “Amen.”
He loves planes and Elmo. We live near the airport so we see and hear planes ALL THE TIME. He always points them out. And if we’re playing and he hears one, he runs to the window to try and find it (all the while telling me “Mama – dat” and pointing to the sky).
His favorite toys are the baby doll and stroller at Julie’s, the dog pillow/blanket that my aunt Debi gave Abby at home (that dog is ALWAYS “Nice dog”) and CARS! The boy loves Hot Wheels, his Cozy Coupe and all cars of all sizes in between. They are all assigned to certain people. Baby Abba Caw = lime green flat bed big rig; Coco (Carrie) caw = white & purple; Mama caw = White with the driver in it (from Great Grandpa KC); Dada caw = shiny green hot wheel (also from Great Grandpa KC). And on and on… When we were at Grandma Rose & Papa’s house last weekend, he gave everyone a car for the toys in the house and never strayed. He also assigned the hot wheels in the garage, again never straying. He remembers which car belongs to each one.
The child can also be a comedian. If I toot, he’ll say “Mama, poo poo.” HA! He’s starting to understand jokes. This morning I told him the dog pillow/blanket thing (I need a name for it!) was “Susie’s dog.” He looked at me with his chin slightly down and a grin on his face and corrected me, “No – my dog mama.” We laughed and kept going back & forth. I do the same with his cars – pointing at Abby’s and saying it’s mama’s car. I remember watching my brother tease Matthew (pointing to a pig and saying “cow”, etc.), thinking it was all in fun. While it is fun, I now see it’s important to teach him to think on his own.
The boy just ADORES his sister! He helps me move the Bumbo in the next room for sister (“Baby Abba Bumbo.”). He actually says Baby Abba so much that I find myself saying it too instead of Abby! Derek doesn’t have a mirror set up in the car to see Abby while he drives, but Grant does a great job of telling us whether she’s asleep or awake when we’re on the road. “Baby Abba nigh nigh” or “Baby Abba waaay”.
He has hit her a few times, but it’s when he wants her to stop crying. A few weeks ago she was BEGGING to go to sleep (read: screaming her head off) while I was getting dressed in the morning. It’s impossible to put on clothes and hold a baby, so she just had to be upset for a few minutes. Grant did NOT like that. He was at my feet in my closet – “Mama, baby. Mama, baby.” And when that didn’t work, he went up to her and smacked her on the forehead.
But I'm sure they'll do fine sharing toys! I don't have to take my head out of these clouds until Abby is mobile. I like the view up here anyway!
No comments:
Post a Comment