Sunday, August 10, 2014

Project - Kitchen Remodel

We've been contemplating a kitchen remodel for a few years now. What we want requires heavy duty stuff - taking out walls, structural engineer, etc. But we had trouble finding a good layout.

A co-worker recommended that I try Home Designer. This was the game changer. And the best part is that the basic (read: cheapest) version was all that I needed. I could rearrange things a dozen times to find the best layout. We now have a layout that we like, so it's just a matter of deciding details and finishes. And finding a contractor, appliances, and spending a few Benjamins.

So here are the floorplans - current and planned:

Look at the walls that are coming down (as long as the structural engineer allows it):

Here's the best feature of the software though. It will drop you into the house and show you what it will REALLY look like:

When I used the camera angles, I realized that we really need to remove one of the fireplaces so that we can keep the areas open.

I'm still adjusting it some. I'm not 100% sold on that closet (or maybe it's just the door placement?). And I can play with the fixtures and finishes some more too. I couldn't figure out how to insert white cabinets, so they are shown as beige even though I really want white. And the columns at the ends of the island will connect to the island itself, but I couldn't figure that out exactly on the software.

I will keep updating as we make decisions and progress. It'll be so exciting to have an open concept kitchen. We are planning to stay in this house for a long time, and I know this remodel will make the next 10+ years here better!

No comments:

Post a Comment