We were packed up and on the road at 6:28 a.m. I think we were the second group to leave. Steve couldn't sleep so his group left at 2 a.m.! We were on the road for about 45 minutes when we decided to stop for breakfast.
We planned to just run through McDonald's drive thru... but it turns out that particular drive thru is more like a parking lot. I think it was a full 20 minutes before we got our food! I thought Grant could handle an open-faced milk... but it slipped out of my hands as I was giving it to him. So our ALREADY FOREVER first stop was delayed another 10 minutes so Grant could change clothes and so Derek could take him potty while I cleaned up the seat.
We took a slightly different route home (through Baton Rouge instead of Shreveport). Most of the drive was 75 mph!!
Abby was healthy again, which should be a good thing... but both Derek and I were wishing for a sick baby. I think of the 12.5 hours in the car, she cried for at least 1.5 hours of it. Derek's black eye and congestion were really getting to him. I think it was the first day where he wasn't drinking before 10 a.m., so the pain from the black eye that he was drinking away all week was finally catching up to him!
I think I drove about 5 of the last 6 hour in the car. The hour I wasn't driving, I was smushed between the two car seats reading books to the kiddos. I also picked another great place to stop and eat. (sarcasm). Chick-fil-a was SO busy!! I'm sure we were there for 20 minutes also.
When we were about 1 hour outside of Dallas, I told Derek to try and find a babysitter. We needed a drink and were both craving some Mexican food, but taking 2 kids that had been sitting all day to a restaurant to sit longer was just not in the cards. Emily came to our rescue!!! It was seriously a brilliant idea and I'm SO glad she was available!!
And for all the torture that driving 12.5 hours with 2 toddlers was, I'm glad we did it. Sunday was spent filling the fridge, washing the sand out of everything, etc. That drive also made us both look forward to going to work on Monday!
Hello world!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment