Warning - This is a LONG post! And unless you are really into remodeling, you should just stop here.
Not too long ago, I posted about Project Kitchen Remodel. You'll notice that the word "Kitchen" has now been removed. Because the project grew and grew and grew...
Here's a glimpse at the future layout of our remodeled home.
Let's chat a bit on the overall layout.
*Extra sink in the island - For a while we thought about putting the oven and vent-a-hood in the island. I was persuaded away from that because
1. We have 8 foot ceilings in this area, so the hood would be a bit intrusive instead of open.
2. Hoods are loud (although so is running water).
3. Who doesn't want an extra sink for veggies or hand-washing when the other sink has dirty dishes?
4. Derek wanted the sink in the island.
5. My co-workers (all architects) said the sink was the way to go.
*Counter-height island eating area - Again, for a while we thought about putting the eating area at bar height. But because of #4 and #5 above, we kept the eating area counter-height.
*Stacked Micro & Oven - This one was a real battle. We cook on the stove about twice a week. But we are a leftover family, so we use our microwave for ALL OTHER MEALS! That puppy HAD to be easily accessible. But we had to overcome some problems for relocating it:
Option 1 - next to pantry. The issue - the max space is 27" (which is a standard size, but I wanted 30"). ALSO, when you are loading the pantry, you want counterspace to be RIGHT THERE!
Option 2 - Micro-drawer in the island. The issue - I hate them and Derek loves them. I've been loading the micro from the front like a normal person for the past /cough/ 29 years! I can't be re-trained to load it from the TOP! Plus, the micro drawers are obviously made for midgets and we are full size. The end.
Option 3 - next to cooktop. The issue - Since these items are deeper than having uppers next to the cooktop, I was worried the light from our (soon to be smaller) window to the patio would be limited in the cooking area. I was also worried there wouldn't be enough work space next to the cooktop. So we had a one-track mind with the cooktop over the oven. We kept leaving it there for some reason, but when we pulled the oven out from under the cooktop and stacked it with the micro, the stars just aligned. Now I think the sunlight issue is nbd - there will be lots of other sources for natural light. And I also have to realize that I have a work surface ready simply by ROTATING 180 DEGREES from the cooktop. This island thing is really going to come in handy!!
This next layout decision was a doozie. It was right in front of me all along, but it had to be shown to me!
*Raising the floor in the front living area & removing the pony walls. And THIS is why I'm so glad I work with a bunch of people that understand space more than me. A co-worker said "Just have them price it, then you can V.E. it out like all our clients do." Ha! Architect humor.
I must say that I had considered this before, but I had in my head "NO! This is only a kitchen remodel. We aren't going to let this grow and grow and get out of control." When the price came in for that option and it was relatively affordable, I was thrilled! This lead to a few more changes:
1. Remove the ridiculously tiny closet that was between the remaining fireplace and new half bath. That space can be used for the bathroom instead.
2. Add a glorious closet right next to the entry-way.
3. Remove the built-in bookcase.
4. Remove (and then re-cover) the fireplace facing to update it.
My furniture layout has the TV where the bookcase is now. But we will likely put electrical and cable above the new mantle so we can turn it all around if we want to. Hokie Pokie style. And imagine that TV flanked with plenty of toy storage. Because that will still be our go-to for a play room.
If you managed to read all that, give me your thoughts on our new layout!
Hello world!
7 years ago
-Floor%2BPlan%2B(w%2Bcomments).jpg)
SARAH! I have been waiting for this! It looks great! I really like the sink in the island and the oven on the wall. I think you will be happy with that! Also, love the half bath! Can't wait to see the finished product!
ReplyDelete