Friday, February 26, 2010

Childbirth Class #1

It took me a full hour to get to the first childbirth class (thanks to 3 different wrecks on the way). Derek had to meet me there, and we were JUST in time! We were not on Derek-time, but we were still not late. Our instructor is an RN and Lactation Consultant. The best part is that she’s from England. Without that interesting quirk, it would be very easy to fall asleep during class. Most of the class was boring anatomy stuff – if I had a dollar each time she said “pelvic floor” I’d have… well at least $20.

In the class, she passed out ziploc bags with some jelly-type substance in them and tubs of lard representing amniotic fluid, water retention, etc. The husbands then carried all this around in a laundry basket. I didn't care for that part too much - I'd rather them ACTUALLY carry a laundry basket at home! (I can't complain - Derek does our laundry 90% of the time).

We shared the "best" and "worst" parts of pregnancy - Derek said his favorite part is eating - shocking, huh? The weirdest part of the class was the group kegels exercises. Seriously. Have you ever been in a room full of people and you KNEW they were all doing kegels?! So weird.

All in all, we had a good time. We kept whispering to each other to keep ourselves entertained (and make fun of some of the other couples, of course). I suppose we should have stopped that and our giggling when we all did breathing and relaxation techniques, but we didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment