Well, the update is…. that there IS no update. I’ve been to the doctor twice since my last post (went earlier today and last week). I’ve held steady at 1+ cm (not yet 2 cm) and 50% effaced. My blood pressure is good. I somehow managed to gain 4 pounds since my visit 1 week ago, but I blame that on Derek’s fajitas last night – they were GREAT! Doc was not concerned with the weight gain since it’s been 5 pounds over 3 weeks. I definitely feel the added weight though!
The “plan” is to go in Tuesday for a non-stress test, and if everything looks good and baby makes no progress, I’ll be induced the following week. June 2 seems like a VERY long time from now, and I really doubt this baby will wait that long, but it’s good to have a backup plan!
It has become habit now for me, when I make a phone call, to start the call with “No baby yet”. My mom and sis insist on this, and this policy proved itself useful yesterday when I called my mom – got out those 3 words, then my phone died!
My cousin Mary and I are due at the same time. She’s scheduled to be induced on the 24th or 25th, so unless Grant gets a move on, Baby Holloway will be the 46th baby to wear the Bereuter Baby Gown and Grant will be the 47th. I’m not sure if I’ve posted on this before, but my grandma (Gaumy) made a gown that all 12 of her babies came home from the hospital in. It has been passed around and been a great family tradition ever since then. My mom brought me and all my siblings home in it, and I have several other cousins (and all my nephews) that wore it. Mary and I have been racing. If she goes first, I hope she has a boy – Grant can’t lose the first race of his life to a GIRL!
Now is probably a good time to make a public disclaimer: When Derek and I DO have our baby, we will be exhausted, overwhelmed, and doing our VERY best to make the most of our time together. Thus, we will NOT be making dozens of calls, texts, facebook updates, etc. One of my fears is that my phone-happy husband will spend too much time on the phone instead of with his wife and son in the first few hours, days and weeks. He is supposed to have a network set up so that he makes (at most) 2 calls. I will probably break his phone if he's getting calls (and doesn't turn it off), and most of you know how great I am with my cell. Just an FYI to everyone - I know you love and support us, but we will be with our #1 priority, Baby Grant! We will certainly welcome visitors, but we will be staying off of our phones!
Part 2 of the disclaimer applies to the time immediately after I give birth - I know the family will be anxious to meet our little guy. However, if you come to the hospital too early, you could be in the waiting room awhile! Grant needs to eat, poop, and get settled in before he is (or I am) ready for visitors. This applies to everyone - grandmas and grandpas too! The only exception is my mom - because - there are times in life when a girl just needs her mom! Plus she's the only one that could handle my hormonal self. No offense to any of you, but I care more about my child's emotions and well-being than I do yours. You will meet him, but if you want to rush to get to the hospital, please pack your patience! Ok - disclaimers are done!
Back to the fajitas – 1 of the advantages of living in Texas is having your friendly neighborhood carniceria (where no one speaks English)! Derek picked up some pre-marinated beef fajita meet, guacamole and pico de gallo last night - I was in heaven. Derek thought the guacamole was too spicy, but Grant enjoyed it! It will probably take us the entire week to work through all that meat. Mmmmmm – meat.
Hello world!
7 years ago
We'll be sure to keep calling your phones over and over and over to hear all about it :) Kidding! Good luck guys!! We'll be thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteAmen sister (or cousin)! With my first, I just wanted Braden and my mom in the delivery room too. This time around...just Braden. At my check yesterday I was 2 cm dilated and 90% effaced, so yes, it's likely I will "win". I too gained about 4 pounds in the last week. Which kind of makes me think it's a boy, since the same thing happened to me with Ethan.
ReplyDeleteI guess I should go ahead and ship you the dress... but doing so feels like defeat!
ReplyDeleteDerek says I need to clarify - We welcome visitors, but not while I'm pushing... and not for a few hours after. We won't take any visitors until everything is cleaned up, Grant has been fed and we've had some alone time with our new family! I'm just asking for (ok - demanding) a few hours!! After that, Grant will be ready to party.