My cab arrived at 4:30 a.m. on Thursday. Yikes. Highlight of the early flight: seeing the sun rise over the clouds. A first for me and quite breathtaking.
I spent all day Thursday learning and took advantage of some adult time in the evening when I met another attorney, Janet, at a bar. Service was terrible, but the conversation was great AND much of our meal was comped. YEAH!
Friday was another all-day affair. Seriously - we even had class during lunch. I switched hotels and snuck in a nap before Derek, Clint and Shauna drove up.
Friday night we went to Ritas on the River. Derek and I remember it for their KILLER beef fajitas. The fajitas were still good, but the margaritas were NOT! We saw the Alamo, remembered it, then headed back to the hotel for a night cap in the hot tub.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch... The kiddos enjoyed a big breakfast, cousin time, and ice cream!! Grant cried once after he ran over his sister... Papa can have that effect!


Abby tried to drive the Ranger, then tried to drive the one-seater John Deere toy.

She also got some time with Coco!!

Saturday we enjoyed breakfast in bed (free thanks to our Groupon!), then the boys worked out while the girls chatted over coffee. We had lunch at Chris Madrid's Nachos and Burgers (which were paired with delicious Mango Margaritas).
And keeping with the healthy menu, we headed over to Lulu's for their famous 3 pound cinnamon roll! In case you're wondering, the cinnamon roll won.
We needed to walk off the food coma, so we headed over to the La Cantera Shops. We took advantage of child-free shopping and walked away with boots (me) and watches (me and Derek).
Derek and Clint had reservations at a winery for us on Saturday night. There was also a charity event going on with a photo booth. I eyed it early in the evening and schemed to sneak into it for a memoir of our evening. Sure, the waiter wanted us to spend $40 on wine to take home as a memoir, but I like the free one better. Plus, it's a rule that was broken without any consequence.... which I just love! Once we got back to the hotel, we capped off the evening (again) with a night cap in the hot tub.
Today, we had breakfast (with complimentary mimosas) and headed out by 10. We maximized our child-free shopping again at the San Marcos outlets (look for my $9 BCBG dress at the wedding this coming weekend!!!) and Cabelas. But the highlight of the day was seeing this when we drove up to Grandma Rose & Papa's:
I melted right then. I hadn't seen these boogers since Wednesday night. Truth be told, I even missed Lola and snapped a shot of a Jack Russell that appeared in a Victoria Secret window ad when I was missing her! Abby wanted me to hold her (and not let her go) and Grant continued to play with cars.
It was so funny to hear the grandparents' take on the kids. According to them, Grant is smart, sweet, and sentimental, and Abby is spoiled rotten! She runs away when you get out a Kleenex, tackles Grant, holds her hands up at Grandma Rose's feet to be held, and throws herself on the ground in a full-blown toddler fit when she gets mad. I blame their ages... and birth order. I'm sure it's not MY fault!!
The weekend away was refreshing. This weekend a facebook friend posted a photo from a date with her hubby. The caption from her photo rang true for our weekend away. "You say it's fun. I say it's NECESSARY!"
No comments:
Post a Comment