Thursday, April 18, 2013

Grant-isms

Grant has always had trouble with putting time into words. For the longest time he would say "yesterday" when he meant earlier today. But in the past week or so, something has clicked. Now, instead of saying "earlier" he says "early." But in a super cute toddler way.
"I took a nap early." --> No, he didn't lay down at 11 instead of 12. He means "earlier".
"I made a big poo poo early." --> He didn't get up and go poo poo on his own while I slept. He just did it an hour ago.
This carries over into calling later today "tomorrow" instead of later. And this one still trips him up. For now, Derek and I just smirk when Grant says "ERRRlee."
He's also 100% Texan. He says "bay-ud" for bed, "lay-ug" for leg, and "ay-ug" for egg.
He's getting better at please and thank you, but I can tell he's going to rely on our reminders for several more months. I'm optimistic that it won't be years.
We thought his articulation had slipped some. For a few weeks, we had trouble understanding him. But I think he's getting better. We've been working on "th" sounds. It comes up several times in his favorite book, "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" - the line is "Oh no! We have to go through it!" Two weeks ago, Grant was saying "We have to go frew it!" and now it's "We have to go tha-rew it." Nice and clear. This is him reading it on April 4:

1 comment:

  1. I love the video of him reading! So fun. And as I've learned in my language acquisition and articulation classes, totally normal for his speech/language development to have a U-shaped pattern, sounding good, then worse, then better again. Oh, and nerd-alert moment...saying "tha-rew" is called epenthesis...the addition of an "uh" sound in between consonant clusters to make them easier to pronounce! Go Grant...such a smarty!

    ReplyDelete