Last night we enjoyed the Coppell fireworks along with Carrie, Jacob, Steve, Gloria, Matthew, Gloria's brother David & his wife and 2 kids and Cassie and Brian. And by enjoyed, I mean - we laid a tarp out on the wet grass, kept our umbrellas handy (and even used them), and hauled Grant around in the backpack (our first backpack experience). The highlight of the evening (for me) may have been when some high school boys used an area covered by 3 inches of water as a slip and slide. I overheard one of them say "This is what fourth of July is all about!"
Because of the gear involved, I switched over to our GINORMOUS diaper bag (shower gift from the Mitt women). However, I did not pack appropriately. First, we needed a hat to keep Grant's ears out of the wind - fail. I did rig up an umbrella to block the wind while it was bad, though. Next we needed a bottle for Grant - like the one I had prepared and left on the counter - fail. So, I improvised the "old fashioned" way and got out the goods. At this point, I needed something to cover up - like the Hooter Hider I have packed in the OTHER diaper bag... or an extra blanket, which we didn't have with us - fail. I did have a waterproof pad (to use for diaper changes, which there were none of while we were there, interestingly). So with some assistance, I was able to calm our screaming, starving child while the fireworks show was going on.
Once the fireworks show was done, we packed up and headed back to the car - all the while Grant was VERY angry for having his milk taken away. I didn't bother putting him in his carseat - he ate the whole way home. Mom of the Year!!
I would post pictures of the evening, but (keeping with the theme of this post), we left the camera at home.
Bottom line - we're still learning.
Hello world!
7 years ago
At least you made it work.. well done, Mama. And now watch... next time you'll be so over-prepared, you'll wander why the hell you packed so much crap.
ReplyDelete