Sunday, August 1, 2010

Catching up on firsts

I haven't blogged in awhile, so let's catch up on a few firsts:

First week back to work:

I did not experience the typical new mom break down, but I certainly did miss my little man like crazy. I think my "warm up" days the week prior really helped. Every day when I get home, I steal him from Derek and barely put him down. I got to ease back into things - Monday I left work at 3pm. I think Wednesday was the hardest day for me because I started to realize that this is our new lifestyle for years to come. Our new routine involves Derek calling me when he picks up Grant to let me know the last time he ate - that way I make sure I'm home in time to feed him dinner.

The biggest pain is pumping at work. The actual pumping is no big deal - I just shut my door and get after it! It's cleaning up afterward in the office kitchen/copy room. There is very little counter space, and I've found myself dodging co-workers trying to get their coffee. Derek said I should offer them some "creamer". mmmm.

Thursday and Friday, Grant was still asleep when I needed to leave the house. So I loaded him up and fed him a bottle when I got to daycare. I really liked this. I get to interact more with the teachers and other parents, and learn more about the kids. I want to do this at least once a week - we'll see what the boss has to say about that!

First time to rollover:

Grant has been rolling over for a few weeks now. I think it's because he hates "tummy time", so he gets angry and ends up making his way onto his back. He had rolled over a few times before, but I think it was 2 weeks ago when Derek told Lola to rollover, and both Grant and Lola rolled over at the same time!! This morning, he rolled over 3 times in a row, so I grabbed the camera hoping he'd perform again:



First time in the pool:

I thought we had a good window of opportunity earlier today to try Grant in the pool. Turns out, we didn't. I got the backyard set up with the umbrella, towels and a float, then changed my clothes. By the time I changed Grant into swim trunks, he was in meltdown mode. Nonetheless, I think the first time in the pool went pretty well... It was just VERY short.



First bath:
This is LONG overdue. A few quick clips from Grant's first bath on June 10th with Grandma Rose in the driver's seat:


But he soon calmed down:


First time I realized Grant's favorite sound:
A few weeks ago, I realized that I usually get some good smiles when I change Grant's diaper... and then I realized the smile seemed to immediately follow the velcro sound of taking off the dirty diaper and putting on the clean one.

No comments:

Post a Comment