Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend of fun

Clara was sick on Friday, so I kidnapped my babies for a bonus 3-day weekend!

We played on Friday and made a trip to the park. I got a few shots of the kiddos (will update later). Abby got tired and cried so much that she stopped taking her paci, so we headed home. She fell asleep in the 60 seconds it takes us to drive home from the park. This is remarkable because she HATES the car and pretty much always screams cries when we're driving - she's slept in the car maybe twice ever.

Friday night we ate at an actual RESTAURANT with our 2 little ones and it went REALLY well. Abby slept 10 hours that night - she didn't get up until 7 AM!

Saturday we dropped off Derek's car for an oil change then headed over to the Crow Center because they were having children's activities and it was FREE. It was a total failure. Abby was hungry as soon as we arrived. I brought a bottle, but it was cold so she refused it. I took her to the bathroom thinking there'd be a lounge area, but there wasn't. I somehow maneuvered myself into a folded up wheelchair (with abnormally high arm rests) and nursed Abby there (again, requiring some contorting of her body to work around the arm rests). Grant did one craft with Derek and then had enough. I had packed a picnic for us, so we ate at a park, then picked up Derek's car. It was a lot of work for the brief outing and Grant was probably too young to really enjoy any of it. But it was free and different, so we'll call it a wash.

I spent the afternoon cooking as much as possible. Derek helped a lot too. I kept asking him to do things (will you wash these dishes? will you tear apart these 3 rotissery chickens? will you open these cans? etc.) and he never complained. Even better - the kids were pretty cooperative while we were both in the kitchen. We have enough food for at least 2 weeks now!

We had dinner, drinks and game night with Cy and Emily (and their 10 month old, Nathaniel) on Saturday. That may sound lame, but it really was a blast! Ever since I made chicken nuggets last week, I've been wanting them again. So we had them for dinner and they were a hit! We stayed up super late (I went to bed at midnight). But NO ONE in the house woke up before 7 AM, so it worked out just fine!

Sunday we met up with Carla at a park in Desoto for Abby's 3 month pictures. She has already posted several - here's a sample of my favorites.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I love this shot! We are both so happy!
Photobucket
Grant and I rockin' our new boots - his are John Deere of course.

We then drove home and Grant fell asleep 10 minutes from the house. Awful. The boy wouldn't nap once we got home. Around 2, we headed over to Zach & Audrey's. We met them in our Childbirth Class - their boy is just a few weeks older than Grant. Grant was a little off (he fell asleep on the way over there), so he didn't like their dog Chompers but everything else was fun. Fajitas, 'ritas and 2 boys playing nice with each other. All in all a great Sunday night! The icing on the cake? Abby slept until 7 AM again!!



Our weekends are now a series of play dates - mostly so we can have some good adult conversation without destroying local establishments. I genuinely love it and don't miss the days when we ate out all the time or stayed up well past midnight. Watching our kids be silly with each other - and even cry/whine when a new playmate takes a favorite toy - is FAR better than our evenings in our DINK days (double income, no kids).

Abby is on a roll - 10 hours, 10 hours, and 11 hours - 3 nights in a row! We're turning a corner in our house! 2 kids that sleep through the night and are often down for the same nap time. We will relish it while it lasts - already dreading the day when Grant stops napping. But for now we're getting lots of sleep and enjoying as much of this spring time weather as possible!

So - who wants to have a play date?!

No comments:

Post a Comment