Monday, May 7, 2012

Dining disasters

I mentioned in my previous post that taking 2 under 2 out to eat is pure hell not easy. And lest I forget this in a few months and think it was all rainbows and sunshine, here are a few details of our dining disasters.

The first disaster was December 31, 2011. Derek's family came down for Christmas and we went to Hard 8 Barbeque just up the street. We were still rookies at getting out with 2 babies (Abby was 1 day shy of 1 month). What I didn't realize is that BBQ = buffet line. I should have taken a stroller for Abby, but I didn't. So I was trying to fumble through the line with Grant & Derek was doing the same with the infant carrier & the diaper bag. I ended up either leaving a child at the table or my food in the line (I don't recall which) to set up a high chair for Grant and sling for Abby.

Things went swimmingly for about 2 minutes once we all sat down. Then Abby (remember how I said she doesn't like her car seat?!) started crying. Derek held her for a bit at the table, but that didn't help. Plus he had Grant's food to drop onto his plate a little at a time (Grant eats a lot and fast, so this is the easiest and cleanest way to feed him - it's better now, but it's still best to give him small portions). So I took Abby and walked with her. When I thought she was asleep, I came back to the table. I got greedy and tried to put her in the car seat... naturally she woke up and I repeated the process.

Thankfully Derek eats fast and we had the rest of the family to keep Grant entertained while I ate. My food was still warm, but I was the last one to finish. When we were packing up, I noticed a sign advertising their to-go meal specials. We could have stayed home, eaten the same food and spent less money. Lesson learned.... well - not quite.

I think it was after I returned to work in February, we decided to try eating out again. I had been with the kids for a while (I forget the circumstances now, but it was probably a day when Julie's kids were sick). I knew what was ahead of us - who was tired, who ate a lot or a little, who was in a bitch-tastic whiny mood, etc. Derek suggested we go out to eat at Anamia's and it went PERFECTLY. Grant behaved. I had a rita. Abby had a bottle. BLISS!

So imagine my surprise when we go out the next month to Ole's (thanks to a Groupon) and we have the mother of all melt downs. Abby slept peacefully until our food came & I was halfway done with my margarita. At that same time, Grant wanted something and we didn't understand him. He didn't want to play with his Leap Frog Cell. We were out of ammunition. So I got the waiter to give us water to warm the bottle & tried to console Abby while Derek wrestled Grant. They disappeared to the bathroom where Grant calmed down and Abby took her warm bottle. I fed her with 1 arm while eating with the other. When Derek & Grant returned, he tried telling us the same thing again, got frustrated, and of course went BACK to the bathroom. I was eating and finishing my food 1 handed. Somehow Derek managed to eat his food and leave with Grant (we had met after work in separate cars). Me and Abby finished our drinks, over-tipped the waiter, apologized to half the town, and gracefully exited.

We had a similar disaster at an impromptu dinner at the Adolphs'. Abby was happy when we arrived, but Grant was scared of the dogs and therefore attached to Derek's hip. Then when we ate, Grant was happy and Abby was fussy. We escaped before everyone decided to never invite us over again because the invitations are still coming (thanks guys!).

The most recent disaster was at Outback. We met up in separate cars after work. Grant got full (and antsy) and Abby woke up - both just as our food arrived. Derek ended up eating first while I walked Abby around, then Derek took them home while I ate peacefully. I told the waitress to take her time - I was going to enjoy my quiet dinner! She had a confused look that told me she wasn't a mom yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment