Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grant-isms

How long do the terrible twos last?! A week? A month? Oh yeah - a whole friggin year... or more if you're not so lucky (I have some mom friends who thought the 2s were bad until they got to the 3s). Of course in our household just as 1 kid finishes the terrible twos, the other will be starting - so we get to endure them for 3 more years without a break.

Grant has good days and bad days. But the bad days just.keep.coming. This morning he went to timeout at least 5 times and he was only up for 45 minutes before we left. Playing with Abby's door while she gets a diaper change = timeout. Saying "bad dog" = timeout. Hitting me when I closed Abby's closet door (he wanted to play in there) = timeout. Not giving mama a hug & kiss after timeout = timeout. Saying "bad dog" while Abby was getting a diaper change (she poops alot) = timeout.

Derek played golf on Sunday so I was flying solo in the morning (until Aunt Coco came to play and help). Grant was supposed to be in timeout as I was getting a bottle ready for Abby. Instead I found him climbing on his bed & sliding off his nightstand. I should have gotten onto him, but I snapped pictures instead - hoping an injury would teach him (but he never fussed - even when he banged his head on the nightstand trying to climb over from his bed or when he slid off straight onto his bottom).
Photobucket

Time out is now in the pack & play in his room. We keep it set up in there. Why? Because after sleeping great in a toddler bed for 6 months and being able to open doors for the past month, this weekend Grant finally figured out that he can escape after we put him down for a nap. We tried being firm and putting him back in bed. But after 1.5 hours, Derek set up the pack & play. Night time is better than naps, but he still ended up sleeping in the pack & play last night.

But when he's not testing us limits, he is a really good boy. Funny even. After one of us goes to the bathroon (even #1), Grant says "Bye bye mama poo poo" (or dada) when we flush. Because Derek always says "HOLLA!", Grant started saying "Ha-ha, dada." He's getting better about please and thank you ("Mee mama" = please mama and "tay ooo" = thank you). Over the weekend he kept fastening straps on the baby gear (seat saver, bouncy chair and car seat). Once it's fastened, he says "Hepp mama. Mee mama", meaning "Help mama. Please mama." I unlatch it every time and honestly never get sick of it, even after the 20th time. I had a big cooking day on Saturday (I take 1 or 2 days per month and stock our freezer, otherwise we'd never eat),and he stayed at my feet fastening straps for a solid 20 minutes.

Carrie wanted him to show her "Coco's car," because he always refers to the purple hot wheel as "Coco car." She'd ask him "Where's Coco's car?" and every time, he pointed outside to her ACTUAL car!! He really does love cars. Today on our way to Julie's, he kept pointing out SUVs that were the same make & color as Sandy's (Mimi) and saying "Mimi car!!!" (Those exclamation points are no joke.) That boy loves Mimi!! And I guess the only person I talk to on the phone is my mom. Last night, Derek was on the phone canceling our cable and land line, and Grant said to the phone "Hi, Wose."

1 comment:

  1. AND....that's the reason we turned the lock around on Ethan's bedroom door. Lifesaver! I did it one day while he was playing his "I'm not gonna nap" game. He was pretty pissed. But that lock stayed that way until we moved last summer.

    That middle picture is freakin hilarious though.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete