Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting to know the hospital

A line drive pegged Derek in the arm at a softball game on Tuesday night while he was running bases. Very soon after the hit, he was sitting on the bench with ice and started getting nauseous and started blacking out. They insisted that he visit the ER, so I met him up there for all the ER fun!! It actually wasn't too bad - he got pain meds, x rays and a sling in about 2.5 hours (including time in the waiting room) - so that qualifies as being in the express lane in ER time. Nothing is broken, so a few days in a wrap to keep the swelling down is all the doctor ordered. On Tuesday, it was swollen up about the size of a softball and the laces from the ball were clear on his skin. 24 hours later the swelling has gone down considerably (but you can still see the laces):

Last night we had Baby Class #4. We learned about anesthesia and C-Sections. One of the videos was a deaf couple that had an unplanned C-Section. Derek and I were whispering back and forth:


Derek - Check out those 80's overalls.

Me - And their 80's hair.... and the 80's sign language.


At the time, that was pretty funny. I started giggling, but composed myself. Then a minute into the video, the voice over said "She signs the consent form", and I lost it! Sign - and she's deaf. Ahhh. I was giggling so much that I cried all my makeup off. Derek kept telling me to stop, but I couldn't. When the video was over, I went to the bathroom to compose myself (at Derek's insistence) and called my sis to commisserate. I actually embarrassed Derek - and that's pretty tough to do!
Baby Hicks had a check up yesterday too. Everything looks great, and I've gained 18.5 pounds so far. Looks like my Chipotle diet is working! I also got a copy of my chart to take on a short overnight trip I'm going on next week for work. I'm looking forward to the trip - it'll be my first time to fly in a private plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment