Monday, October 10, 2011

Sick weekend

Pregnant women have got to be the best patients. Shoulder hurt? Just tell her that the cure is delivery. Sure, it COULD be a broken arm, but you don't want to be liable for doing an X-ray! Sick? Tell her to take Tylenol and rest. All the good stuff is off the table. Sure, it COULD be pneumonia or West Nile or sudden onset of blindness, but you can't treat her for any of those anyway!

I'm not sure if the bitterness is coming through. Let me be more clear:

Friday, I planned to come to work while my mom stayed home with Grant (who was sick). He'd been on an antibiotic for 5 days and still not better, so I was also trying to contact the doctor. 1 Doctor's visit = $78. 1 Nurse call = $10. Since nothing had changed, I figured a call to the nurse line was fine.

But when I woke up on Friday, it was clear that I had been run over by a freight train. I managed to get ready and out the door though. I worked until just after lunch. In my office without the light on. Light is bad. It makes the splinters in my eyes worse.

I drove home (I probably should not have even been driving), and discovered that my doc called in a new prescription for Grant!! And for the low, low price of $268, he could get a different antibiotic. WTF?!

My mom stayed until Derek got home, which was great because I was in no condition to take care of a child. I laid in bed with a washcloth over my eyes - not really asleep and not really awake. In the meantime, Derek and I worked with the pharmacist to get a new prescription, which cost us $250 LESS than the original.

I also found my doctor's guidelines for what medicine is ok to take during pregnancy. I went a little overboard and took twice the dosage I should have. And I could actually tolerate light - and feeding Grant - and feeding myself!!

But Saturday, I was back to laying in bed. On the regular dosage, I still felt like CRAP. I laid in bed all day until about 3 when we went to the Dacuses. Even then, I had to lay down on the way there, on the way back, and most of the time there. Thankfully, these friends are fake uncles and fake aunts to Grant, so he was thoroughly entertained. Grant got to play with a cricket and help throw a frisbee thanks to Clint!
Photobucket
Photobucket

He also played football with the boys and ran around the house with Shauna.
Photobucket

While I was on the couch, everyone else was carving pumpkins.
Photobucket

Except this guy - he was asleep.
Photobucket

Sunday I was feeling a little better. We sold a bookcase and desk on Craigslist, so I tried to clear those out while Grant "helped". Derek's dad had come to help around the house for the day, so the men were busy, busy. After lunch, Grant and I went to play with his cousins, Jacob and Andrew!

When we got home, Grant needed another nap. The boys assembled the new, much smaller desk and I assembled dinner.

So today I'm back in the office - again with my light off because light still hurts. But thankful for a great husband and family who took care of me and Abby this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment