Thursday, November 17, 2011

Big Boy Bed

On Sunday Grant moved into his new room and into his big boy bed. How has he done in the new room and new bed?! Pretty much a perfect transition (I know - now I'm really tempting fate). He played in the room during the day while we were putting the last of the gear away, so he was comfortable with the layout. He really loved playing on the bed!

Derek says he went to sleep without making a sound on Sunday night. I was having dinner with friends, so I'll have to take his word for it!

A few things we did (notes to myself for when Abby makes the transition):

1. All toys are out of reach. Grant can't open the closet and can't reach anything on his bookshelf.

2. Elmo book - We read a book for several days about Elmo moving to a big bed. I have no idea if he "got" it or not.

3. Skipped a second nap. Sometimes Grant needs a second nap, but we skipped it on Sunday so he'd be extra tired and more willing to go to sleep at bed time.

4. COMPLETE DARKNESS. Grant had a night light from about 0-4 months. It was mostly for our convenience. After that, the night light went out and we never replaced it. He is comfortable sleeping in the dark (which helps in so many ways - he's quite portable)!

5. He can't open the door! Even if he tried to escape, he'd be stuck!!

He seems to really like his room. He knows to go there for bed now instead of the nursery. Last night he played in there quite contently (climbing in and out of a suitcase we'd gotten out to pack hospital bags) while I hung up all the new size 2T clothes from my sister (25 short sleeve shirts and 50 long sleeve shirts - I counted!).

I've checked on him every night and there's only been one mis-hap. On Wednesday when I went to check on him, he was actually on the ground next to the bed. Sound asleep with his monkey close by. I put him back in bed and he didn't even wake up.

Every morning when I go to check on him, he is sitting on his bottom on his bed. Usually repeating "Na no nah" (which translates to "Hi Lola"). It's such a sweet sight and such a sweet sound!

I'm glad my boy is getting into this routine now. Abby will no doubt shake this up a bit and will probably wake him while she is tiny and needs night-time feedings and cuddles. LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!

1 comment:

  1. It's like a big tease. Blog about his big boy bed, but no picture of big boy room?

    ReplyDelete