Monday, September 19, 2011

The best laid plans...

We went to Arkansas this weekend to visit Derek's family. All of our plans included sunny, fall weather and Arkansas did not deliver. Instead, it rained the entire time we were there. So all of our plans went out the window, and it turns out, it was for the better!

We headed out Friday afternoon in a rented minivan. We got to Derek's parents around 4, picked up Kennedy and Mike and hit the road.

This was Grant's first road trip, and all in all, he did pretty good. He fussed uncontrolably from 6-6:30. We had run through all the peek-a-boos, books, toys, and funny faces that he wanted. At 6:30, we had dinner and he got to run around a bit - he was much happier! When we arrived at the rent house at 10 pm, Grant had been asleep about 1 hour and Kennedy was done with her Physics homework. Success!

The plan on Saturday was for the men (Derek, his father, and his grandfather) to play golf, and the women (and Grant) to "play" outside at the Crystal Bridges Museum trails. Rain had other plans, so instead the men had breakfast, then played cards with Great Grandma Joyce (Grant's Great Great Grandma) and we had brunch and joined them.

The rest of the afternoon turned into a home improvement day for the men. Us ladies (me, Kennedy, and Gerie) had a good time cooking and prepping for dinner. It's been so long since I had socialized while cooking that I forgot how much fun it really is (Grant and the boys were at Lowe's). Grant also had a good time running around the house. He played with a new toy from KC and Gerie. He also refused to nap.
Photobucket

We had dinner back at the rent house (Grant finally napped while we were putting the meal together). I had a half glass of wine - it was delicious!! We took a stroll down the street and on the golf course. We saw an unfriendly Jack Russell on the street, and 2 beautiful doe (or is the plural "does"?) on the golf course. Grant scratched his hand at one point (it bled) but he never cried, so we didn't find it until later.
Photobucket

By then, everyone was tired. We opened the windows (the air was fantastic), ate some homemade Coconut Creme Pie and watched a little football. And Grant and Papa played until one of them tuckered out (still not sure which one it was)
Photobucket


Sunday, we all got together for breakfast and played a little while. We snapped a few photos of all FIVE generations of Hickses, then headed back to Texas.
Photobucket

Grant FINALLY got a good nap in on the ride home. Joyce had some burritos ready for us for dinner when we arrived. Grant kept asking for "moh!". Lola was TIRED from running around the farm. We watched the Cowboys game (a WIN!) and headed home.

As soon as we hit the road, the rain hit. It POURED on us!! It even hailed - 3 times!! Grant fussed for a while - probably from being tired and the rain being so loud, but he slept for about 45 minutes until we got home. Our neighbor went with Derek to return the rental, while I got Grant ready for bed and unpacked.

I am SO SORE from this weekend. My left shoulder radiates pain from the bottom of my shoulder blade, and my right shoulder feels like I got a shot in it. I think it's just sore from over-use (right arm) and twisting around in the minivan (left arm). Since I was already in pain in my right arm, I got my flu shot this morning for me and baby. Fighting gravity to lift my right arm is a real fight. I've asked my OB for help since the last doc was such a let down - hopefully I'll know more later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment